After much faff a new working version of TowerFall is now live on DriveThruRPG! Suffice to say this took far longer than I wanted it to but I can say that it was certainly a learning experience. First lesson is one that I’ve tried to drill into my students many times, always double check everything.
The second is that PDF format compliance is apparently rather difficult to get right. In order to identify the issue I turned to a free trial of Acrobat Pro as this seems to be the standard for the creation of PDF printers files (the X-1 and X-3 formats). I’d been working on the assumption that something in Scribus was failing to meet the standard and thus causing the conversion error on DriveThruRPG. Imagine my surprise then when all my original files pass the preflight checks in Acrobat and are reported as meeting the standard. Better yet, if I open them in Acrobat then export them again they suddenly work with the DriveThruRPG system.
Brain clonk. Yep. Both pass the preflight checker, only one works.
My guess at this point is that there’s some sort of subtle error with the Scribus formatting, possibly associated with font embedding based on some further research. I’ll bring it to the attention of the Scribus forums to see if it’s a known issue and if there’s any work around. If there isn’t that leaves me with a quandary, namely that I can’t justify the cost of a regular subscription to Acrobat Pro let alone the full creative cloud software that includes InDesign.
In the long term I’m sure I’ll work out something, the completion of Project Cassandra is still a way off while my Demon Hunters adventures are slowly coming together. I’m hoping to participate in GameChef 2016 if the themes manage to grab me, the ingredients for that go live this evening.
So wrapping up with that link once again: TowerFall is now actually properly live on DriveThruRPG