(This is here as a quick reference for my L5R players)
The Seven Virtues of Bushido are:
- Gi (Honesty and Justice) – Set lies aside. A samurai does not make honesty or justice a matter for debate; he knows that there is only truth and falsehood, justice and injustice.
- Rei (Polite Courtesy) – A samurai is neither a bully nor a brute killer. He must treat his enemies with courtesy.
- Yu (Courage) – Only fear of death can destroy life; the samurai replaces it with an understanding of danger.
- Meyo (Honor) – Praises and curses are not what defines honor; the samurai reserves his judgement for himself.
- Jin (Compassion) – Just as the farmer does not grow crops merely to fill his own belly, the warrior does not fight for himself alone. A samurai must be constantly aware of the duty to protect others.
- Makoto (Complete Sincerity) – A samurai’s words and his actions are one and the same. To ‘promise’ would be redundant.
- Chugo (Duty and Loyalty) – Actions and their consequences define those who take them. The samurai’s loyalty to those that he guards for is unshakeable.
More info: http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Bushido